Monday, May 6, 2013


Bello Adeola
English 114B
Professor Lynnette
May 1, 2012
Apprentices of the English Craft.

           Writing for me is a simple but complex task in which most people strive for perfection but cannot achieve it because perfection is an idea not a destination people can reach. Ernest Hemingway once said “we are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” This quote is what helps me write, it is what I think about before and after an essay and is a quote of excellence. During this semester, I had to do a research paper on a food product and also write about my journey to an ideal location in which I would talk about how the trip influenced me in some kind of way.
          My first essay was a research paper which was titled “Not So Happy meal” in which I did a little exploration on the contents of what is in the happy meal which is served at every McDonald’s location around the world. Doing this research paper helped me to see the dangers present in fast food locations like McDonald’s and how most of their products are based on genetically modified produce (GMO’s). Foods that contain GMO’s are bad for the human body because they cause mutations that are sometimes not physically visible but still does damage internally. The process of writing this essay helped me to gain some investigative skills because I had to do a lot of research to make this essay the best I could be.
           My second essay was an observation essay in which I had to write about a place I visited. In this essay, I had to include the things I noticed along the way and the things that happened at the location. The location I went to was Disneyland “Where Dreams Come True”. Disneyland is a magical place where people can enjoy quality family time and also enjoy the wonders of being little once more. During this trip, I learned how to turn on my observation senses when on a trip and how to remember those things I saw when I was writing the essay.   
           Both papers this semester gave me the opportunity to see the importance of knowing what is in the food we spend our money on and also to see how reliving your childhood memories helps to relief stress which in turn improved both my life style and writing skills. Thanks to these essays, I can now say that my writing skill have increased exponentially and has also helped me to prepare for any challenges high English classes can throw at me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment